Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bohol: Cathedral of St. Joseph and the Plaza

1 May 2011

I'm at home. It's a hot, listless afternoon. I wanted to sleep, but the file I had to upload and send is taking forever to be uploaded.

So while waiting, let me share with you another part of our visit in Bohol last February. Another favorite.

On our last day in Bohol, we decided to visit the church in Tagbilaran. We couldn't go too far from the city as we need to be at the airport before noon.

We entered the Cathedral of St. Joseph. It was a big church, and also quite old. A sign placed by the National Historical Commission says that the original church was built by the Jesuits on this site in the 1500s.







After saying a short prayer, we went around the church for a while, then walked to the plaza right across the cathedral. It was still early when we got there, and a few people were sitting at the benches at the sides of the plaza. On one end of the plaza is a gazebo. The gazebo, to my surprise, was filled with doves. Doves were flying around the plaza. I find this an unusual site--to see doves flocking in places where humans also are.

Amused by such a sight, my friend and I took photos. Then, a mother decided to feed the doves, who immediately flocked at her feet and around her children.

Later on, my friend and I sat on one of the benches. I bought two pandesal from a nearby store. We then fed the doves, who gathered close to our feet, stayed on the bench next to us, and came as close as the armrest of the bench we were sitting on.

That made my day. I love animals, and I love the fact that these doves felt safe in this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment