Monday, May 30, 2011

Life: Maraming salamat!

Dear Mr.,

Wala lang. Yesterday, I was with 3 friends. We joined a run, Walk the World 2011, a fundraising event for projects of the United Nations World Food Programme.

Since we started joining runs last year, one of my friends and I somehow got a bit hooked, hoping to finish faster on the next run. The runs we would join, we told ourselves, would depend on the price (hehe) and the cause. When she saw the ad to this one, she forwarded it to us.

It was just a nice feeling to have joined and finished yesterday's 5k run. First, it was the first run of 2 of our friends. Secondly, we had been hearing about World Food in our research on the assistance received by communities after Tropical Storm Ondoy/Typhoon Pepeng hit Luzon in 2009. It felt good to know we are contributing to their projects too (particularly for the emergency school feeding program in areas in Central Mindanao).

Third, we were able to finish the run, though it took me and my friend longer to finish this time than before. With our schedules in the past weeks, and with the rainy weather, all of us were almost never able to do preparations. I also wasn't able to get enough sleep the night before, as I had to coordinate several things for two work-related activities the next day.

And last but not the least, we had fun taking photos!

So, why am I thanking you? You didn't run with us; you weren't even there to congratulate us; you didn't even know I was joining this event.

Because of you, what started as curiosity to runs/marathons, has gradually become an interest. But honestly, my interest in this still do not equal my love for research, reading, and writing, but I found it challenging, and when done with friends, fun too. I do not intend nor dream of ever being able to run long distances, the way you could. Gosh, I still can't picture myself running or even walking for more than an hour! 5 kilometers remains to be a challenge to me.

But if I didn't meet you, I can't imagine ever trying to join a fun run. Then, I wouldn't even know I can actually practice and run continuously for more than a kilometer. While I did jog, my jogs with my officemates were kinda "cute," I don't exert too much effort, and I stop quickly once I start feeling tired.

So yun, thank you. Sayang I do not have the courage, and it may not be appropriate, to let you know this. Pero salamat talaga. If I had not known it was possible for human beings to run for more than 4 hours straight, I would probably not be challenged to run for more than 10 minutes straight. Hehe.

Wala lang, whenever I would look back, I realize there are many people who come into my life ... several may not have become companions, but did leave their marks. I am happy about the mark you left, or at least the change that happened, with a few remarks of yours.

Yun lang. I hope wherever you may be, you are happy, you are successful, you are blessed.



1 comment:

  1. Bes... Akala ko kasali ako sa pinasasalamatan mo... :( hehehe, just kidding. So happy for you! You are starting to get into physical activities! :)

    ReplyDelete