Friday, June 3, 2011

Life: When I Reach 30

Yesterday, I was telling some of my housemates that by the time I reach my 30s and I am still not married (or not in a serious relationship), and my family and I are financially stable, I'd make drastic changes in my life.

I will go abroad, preferrably Europe. Then take an 8-5 job (i.e., one where your tasks are light, and no need to work overtime or even on weekends). I do love my current job, even if at times you'd have to work really hard. But at times, I also dream of a simpler life.

I love coffee. So I imagine myself working in a coffee shop in Europe. And yes, cleaning tables. Greeting customers, taking their orders, making their coffee, then shouting "Frappuccino for ...." After work, I'd take my backpack, walk the streets of a European country, eat at one of those restos along the street, pasta most likely. Drink coffee. Read a book.

Or I'd go with my bestfriend to New Zealand. I'd find a job there. Then every morning, I'd have to wake up early to milk the cow. After work, I'd go to my home, surrounded by fields, be welcomed by my dog, and probably a few sheep.

I told my officemate about this. I could tell she did not believe me. She actually betted I won't last for a year, probably just a month.

She has a point.

I could bet that I wouldn't simply be working in a coffee shop. I'd probably be the owner of it too. Or that small farm in New Zealand... I'd probably find a way to turn it into a business.

Or I'd be getting part-time jobs, most likely research or planning-related, in a university in the area, or in their government.

Or I'd be joining a cause-oriented group. Or a religious group.

Anyway, that's the simple life I'm dreaming about. Here's the other option.

While browsing the Net, I came across Doctors Without Borders. This reminded me of another dream.

I just wanted to work for things that will help make life better for people. When I am passionate about something, I can pour myself into it.

If I don't pursue that simple life I'm dreaming about, I'd probably find a bigger cause to be part of. I'd go places, learn about the plight of others, try to find out how I can also help.

It will be far from the simple life I am dreaming of, but so worthwhile.

My fear though is that when I pursue the latter, I may not have the "normal" life--have a family of my own, be happily married and raising our kids.

But then again, it's too early to say that my dreams are "mutually exclusive." Who knows, maybe life will be generous with me, and I'd one day get "the best of both worlds."

2 comments:

  1. I know you will (get the best of both worlds), in God's time :) It's never too late for him to wake up cupid and find the right Men for us. heehee :) Just follow your passion and the things you love doing and happy about. It will never backfire on you. If you're really happy on what you do, you WILL find time to do the other things you wanted. As what the saying goes, "when it rains, it pours". I'm speaking of God's blessings of course. Just always be positive about life. OUR love lives, MAY come really later than when we expected. heehee. keep on writing! i love reading your posts,dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much! Sana nga, sana nga :D

    ReplyDelete