Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Work: A Researcher's Confession

A more flexible schedule than what others have.

A more lenient working environment.

Working outside the office. Travelling. Going places. Learning something new about the world, about the research community, almost everyday.

Talking to people from all walks of life.

Laughter. Food trip.

Spending days, even weeks in communities as you do your research.

My work as research in the social development realm has been an exciting one.

But much as I love this job, I do go through low points as well.

When I have to deal with people I don't feel comfortable dealing with.

When I have to be on fieldwork on a rainy or a hot summer day.

When flexi-time also means waking up too early or working til late night, and even on weekends and holidays.

When you start feeling like the pay is not catching up with inflation, or no longer compensates for all the pagod.

When, after several days of fieldwork, and with several issues still cropping up but had to be dealt with, you are just tired, quite frustrated (with yourself, with others, with the world), and tanned (i.e., you had too much exposure to the sun your lotion's SPF was no match to the demands of your work, and you forgot to bring your umbrella).

Yun lang. Maybe, after I've had enough rest and sleep, I'd feel better.

And it really helps to have great people around you.

And despite all the frustrations, you find yourself in the desk, doing your field notes. Keeping track of field expenses. Answering your boss' email. And taking note of to-do's for tomorrow.

Yeah, despite all my complaints and my rants that I'd be a barista na lang next time, I love this job. And that is something I hope to always remember, even if one day I decide to take another path.

1 comment:

  1. clap! clap! I am a researcher too. But since I am inclined in the field of organizational devt. medyo iba orientation natin. Love your work and I'm sure it will love you back more

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete