Thursday, April 7, 2011

Places: Jogging inside the Campus

I entered Ateneo as a freshman student in June 2001. Graduated in March 2005. Worked in the university April 2005 til 2008, moved to an NGO which is not affiliated with Ateneo but holds office within the campus, then moved back to being a staff of the university. So this June, I will be celebrating a decade of staying within the Ateneo campus. Wow!

Anyway,as I've been here for so long, might as well share some things I loved about being and working here. The more stories I hear about my friends' working environment, the more I am able to appreciate the perks of working within this campus.

The second semester is officially over, and summer classes hasn't begun yet. These past days, the campus is a lot more quiet--with fewer cars coming in and leaving, parking slots are available, very few students roaming around... you get the picture. So for the past few days, whenever I would walk from the gate of the campus to our office, it has felt like you almost have the campus to yourself. It somehow puts you in a pleasant mood, as you walk under the shadow of big trees and paved sidewalks--in contrast with the noise and "more real world" along Katipunan and nearby places.

My officemate and I decided we'd jog around the campus after office. We usually stayed by the sidewalk, but would at times use the road instead, as it is wider and at times more convenient to use especially in parts where the sidewalks aren't flat, with roots of trees protruding or ruining the pavement. There were very few cars passing anyway.

It was a short jog, but a badly needed exercise. The past weeks had been busy for us, working on project reports, preparing for meetings, working on proposals, preparing for next projects.

Aside from this, jogging around the campus makes me feel grateful to be given the opportunity to work here. I love the place. It's as close to nature as I could get while in the city. It is, to me, an office, a place to learn, a place to nurture friendships. It is a place to take a walk when I need one, to sit when I need to stare in space, to pray to ask for something or to just say thank you.

While jogging, my officemate and I were already thinking about a next activity: badminton.

It's a quiet campus that offers a lot, if you will just step out of that office and take time to enjoy the place. There's more to that you can do than work in front of the computer.

Sana, I get to do more things while still in this campus. :) I think there are some food stalls my officemates and I have not yet visited....

No comments:

Post a Comment